Scroll Top

Returning Resident Visas

Have you Remained Outside the United States for Longer than a Year?

If you are a permanent resident or conditional resident who has remained outside the United States for longer than a year, you will be required to get a new immigrant visa in order to enter the United States and resume permanent residence. A provision exists under US law where you will be issued a returning resident special immigrant visa, if you remained outside the United States due to circumstance beyond your control.

To qualify for returning resident status, you will need to prove that you:

  • Had the status of a lawful permanent resident at the time of departure from the United States;
  • Departed from the United States with the intention of returning and have not abandoned this intention; and
  • Are returning to the United States from a temporary visit abroad and, if the stay abroad was protracted, this was caused by reasons beyond your control and for which you were not responsible.
Trying to figure out the next steps?

Leave a comment